Thursday 22 January 2015

Reunion Week

On our recent trip to Morocco, Michael and I did a cooking class with the lovely Karima. We cooked a Lemon Chicken tagine and one of the ingredients was preserved lemons. Since our return to Singapore we have been trying to find some, without success...until this week. After trying the area around Bugis as well as a number of different supermarkets I finally found them in Mustafas...you have to love that place even if the prospect of going in there is something akin to entering a maze that you hope you will be able to find your way out of. Hopefully this jar should last me through until I leave Singapore as I'm not sure that I would be able to find the right shelf in Mustafas again!
I
I had got in to the habit of doing a walk with Libby on Fridays but due to her knee injury we have not been able to do this, so when Peter texted his intentions to walk on Friday I decided to join him, along with June and Jo. I hadn't been to Bukit Timah for a while and after an hour and a quarter on the bus I think I remember why! Still it was a pleasant walk from there and for a change we finished up at Thompson Plaza, a new experience for me. It gave me the opportunity to buy some genuine Portugese tarts which my colleagues and I enjoyed for morning tea.
3 Wise Monkeys at Macritchie Ranger Station

After work on Saturday night many of the continuing staff converged at Clark Quay to meet up with Caroline. She had been a MAE colleague who finished up at the end of 2014, and has been travelling in Europe, and is now on her way back to Oz. It was good to share travel stories as she toured Morocco 2 weeks after us and as it turned out had the same tour guide, Samir. She also did the same cooking class with Karima in Marrakech so I guess she'll be on the hunt for preserved lemons too! 
catching up with Caroline at Sque bar
After the closure of our regular Sunday night haunt late last year, Libby has been on the lookout for alternatives, so on Sunday it was Grapevine halfway between Kovan and Serangoon. It was a reasonable price and the food wasn't bad so it could become a regular fixture on our end of week drinks roster. Instead of a beer tower, they have a beer bubble which Melisa soon had under control.
Melisa in charge of the beer bubble.

Mondays walk was a new one for me, although the others had done it towards the end of 2014. It was a long haul to get to the starting point in Choa Chu Kang, involving a bus and 4 different rail lines, but I was there on time. As we walked through the park we passed along an avenue of Chinese horoscopes so were able to confirm it is the Year of the Goat (rather than sheep) so it is supposed to be my year...along with Michael and many of our friends so ...
It was amazing to see quite a few community vegetable gardens with their garden tools nearby and obviously no fear of theft or vandalism. 
We finished the walk at the Rail Mall 3 hours later, hot, very weary and ready for a healthy lunch.


well-kept veggie gardens



Lake area undergoing rejuvenation near Bukit Panjang


The girls of the "Lady Cave" (name of our new abode) spent a quiet night in, completing the smallest jigsaw puzzle I have ever seen ( it came with a pair of plastic tweezers to pick the pieces up with) and playing cards. Kathy cooked us a very tasty pork stir fry as well.












No comments:

Post a Comment