Thursday 26 February 2015

Chinese New Year...No.1

On Thursday morning Helen and I explored the area around Community 6, near my doctor's surgery. There were many Chinese New Year decorations and stalls to buy them as well. As we explored we heard drums and saw a brightly coloured parade, complete with marching girls passing by. Of course I stood in the middle of the road to take some pictures and only discovered after the colourful vehicle passed me by that it was of course, not a CNY parade but a...funeral!


Stall selling CNY decorations


Another goat!

Head of the funeral procession
Right behind this truck was the coffin
kampong home























At last I instigated a walk that was dry and stayed on track. After meeting at Hougang, Peter, June and myself ventured through Punggol Park to the Park connector before following the LRT over to Sungei Pungol. Finally I got to visit the last kampong in Singapore, which I found to be reminiscent of many Australian beachside areas of years gone by, with small timber houses and dirt roads. 





Entering the kampong
After work on Saturday night Libby, Eric, Peter and I travelled in to Chinatown to check out the New Year decorations and ate in Smith St. This meant many more pictures of goats...this could become a bit of a theme in this years blog. It was extremely busy so we headed over to Sque bar for a nightcap before having an earlyish night as 3 of us were flying back to Australia the next night after work.









No comments:

Post a Comment