Tuesday 3 March 2015

Chinese New Year No.2...in Australia

After a long night on a plane it was fantastic to be greeted at Brisbane airport by Michael and Duncan. After a delicious breakfast and an inspection of Duncan's new home we headed back to Ballina. Michael made Pauline and I a delicious salad for dinner which we ate sitting on her deck, watching her local kookaburra family, before I succumbed to weariness.
Delicious...thanks Michael

Shelly Beach


Lighthouse Beach
After a sleep in on Tuesday morning we went out for a walk around the local area on a perfect Ballina morning.
Then it was off to Lismore for the hairdresser etc before catching up with friends over dinner in a favourite restaurant in Ballina. All the crew joined us except for Sue who was still in Canberra caring for her mum...I did miss not having her with us, but she was in all our thoughts.

Despite the fact that we were beginning to see the effects of a Cyclone we headed to Byron so Michael could have his usual swim while I strolled along the beach and had a paddle. I was not brave enough to take my feet off the bottom as the sweep was extremely strong. Michael did the swim, which usually takes up to 30 minutes, in 15, so a coffee was in order.
Coffee at the Beach Hotel Byron Bay
We spent the afternoon in Lismore where I was able to catch up with old teacher friends. It was so great to see them and find that yet another friend will be living in Ballina by the time I return. Talking to 2 friends who are still in the workforce made me very grateful that I am no longer involved...any changes do not seem to be for the better!
After sitting on Don's "back deck"watching the rainbow lorikeets we headed down to the 'boys'local for a Chinese meal.

Thursday morning saw us back in Byron where the foolhardy again braved the cyclone affected waves,but at least this time he had some company. We returned to Ballina and took Pauline to lunch at the cafe at the Surf Club, a new establishment since my departure. A great venue on a clear day but a trifle windy today.

After lunch we headed to Brisbane for the night to catch up with Duncan and Bianca. It came as a shock to realise that it had been almost 2 years since I had seen Bianca last. It is great to see them so happy in each others company and to share delicious pizzas with them at a local across the road.
Despite the heavy rain on Friday my flight took off in time for an uneventful trip back to Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment