Friday 24 July 2015

A Quiet Week

In our absence there seems to have been a flurry of activity to prepare Singapore for National Day on the 9th August. This years is particularly important as it is celebrating the country's 50th Birthday so there are SG50 symbols on just about everything. Our Monday walk was one we have done many times from Bishan to Ang Mo Kio, but there were a few added decorations along the way. The significance of the Singapore-inspired cows is unknown except that the sponsor is moo-something. 
It is amusing that in this most law-abiding of countries the "cows under surveillance" sign was necessary. We have seen the sign about wild boar every time we have done this walk and it astounds me that it is in a very manicured park!
I was unable to stay for the usual lunch as I had a dental appointment to psych myself up for. A couple of hours later I was $500 poorer but no more gap! The denture is not particularly comfortable especially as there were 2 stitches in the gum as well, but I managed to join other MAE colleagues at Blue Jazz for welcome back drinks. After June had visited the toilet she insisted I go in and look at the back of the door...she thought the painting reminded her of someone!
We followed up with a visit to the Divine Bar so some of the uninitiated could witness the Wine Fairy at work. We also managed to have a small drink.
Tuesday was not an early morning start, but a few of us did spend the afternoon seeing the newest release of Far From the Madding Crowd. As we had not had a Cavies game of cards for a while, the three of us spent the night playing Phase 10.
I devoted most of Wednesday and Thursday to updating my blog with the holiday happenings, before returning to the dentist on Friday for the removal of my stitches.
After discussion with the MAE principal regarding my 2016 contract, some minor adjustments were made before I signed it...so I will be here for another year.
After work on Saturday night I had dinner with The Mcraes as both Anna and Liz were in town. We celebrated Elizabeths new job in time honoured fashion.'

Punggol Plaza reverberated with the sounds of SG50 for most of Sunday with cake decorating competitions and some dubious singing echoing through the walls.
  Duncan arrived back from his trip to Indonesia and we met up at Kovan MRT after work. We then joined the Smiths, Peter and Craig and Melisa at Grapevine for dinner and drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment