Sunday 30 August 2015

Trivia

After our Monday adventures I decided on a more sedate stroll around Punggol Park on Tuesday morning. One of our neighbours spotted me while I was looking at some birds along our riverside walk and decided to accompany me. Fortunately he left me by the time we got to the Park entrance so I was able to have a quiet, bird spotting meander. I saw the usual suspects: Pygmy woodpecker, collared kingfisher, common iora, olive backed sun-bird and a black-crowned night heron. As i was leaving the park something flew across my eye-line and landed on a nearby tree. On closer inspection it turned out to be a common flying lizard, another new example of Singapore wildlife, of particular interest as our current P3 topic is reptiles.
Common flying lizard
The MAE Trivia evening was held at our condo in the afternoon, as Kathy was part of the organizing committee. I ended up on a team with Neil, Libby and Pip and we came a creditable second. Prize for the greatest distance travelled would have to go to James, who is now working in Japan after spending two years with MAE. It was great to see him looking some happy and confident.It was a fun evening which some of us rounded off with dinner at Wild Oats in Punggol park.

The rest of the week passed quietly. Libby and I spent a few hours working on the Whales theme on Thursday and I was happy to share the pate and cheese that they had picked up on one of their walks. 
After work on Saturday night a few of us met up at an Irish bar in Bras Basah to have a look at the Singapore Night Festival.
The Festival is held each year and hosts a variety of performances and the lighting of numerous iconic buildings. We caught a performance by Spark!..."Five mysterious characters made of light and sound will take you on an immersive journey. These fascinating LED light drummers will interact with the audience, accompanied by high-impact drumming and exuberant music, beautiful lighting design, dynamic choreography and dazzling costumes." and they were very entertaining! The highlight was definitely the animated "Anooki Story" which was displayed across the front of the National Museum. Libby has offered me her old camera so I tried it out and considering my lack of experience/technique with it I was reasonably happy with the results.
It was not a late night, as the crowds were pretty full-on and we all had to work the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment