Saturday 12 December 2015

Xmas break in Australia part 1

I was very lucky with my Scoot flight home, getting 3 seats to myself so I was able to stretch out and even managed to get a bit of sleep. This was fortunate as I then had to wait at the airport for 2 hours for the Byron easy bus to take me to Ballina. By the time we got to Ballina I was the only one left on the bus so the driver delivered me to my front door.
I spent the rest of the day napping before Michael arrived home with a beautiful arrangement of Australian flowers, and then prepared a delicious piece of salmon and salad.



As Michael works in Mullumbimby on Thursday I was car-less so I strolled over to East Ballina to post some mail and catch up with Chris for a coffee.I enjoyed the stroll and after pottering around home for a while decided to walk over to town to see what the tourist centre had regarding birdwatching in the area...which turned out to be not much! I also sent off a request to the local bird-life group. I managed to see, and later identify, a variety of birds.
Masked lapwing, blue-faced honeyeater, rainbow lorikeet and osprey
Michael has developed the habit of walking before walk most mornings so I went with him on Friday morning...this meant I was up BEFORE the sun and actually got to see it rise. It was spectacular and probably a good idea as the day turned out to be extremely hot, about 38 degrees.
darter, pelican, dusky moorhen, little egret
After such an early start, by 11 o'clock I had to have a nana nap before going to Lismore for a haircut. Then it was back for dinner at The Shaws Bay Hotel where Pauline, David and Sue joined us. Pauline's neighbour, Gunter, was looking a bit lonely so he also had dinner with us. David was more than happy to converse with him about their adventures in the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Races in years past, while Michael shared a 'not overly impressed by the Beatles' moment with him. Apparently Gunter had seen them perform at the Star Club in Hamburg in 1962 and wasn't particularly impressed!
Saturday was a slowish day with a trip to Lismore. Since moving in to the unit Michael has bemoaned the fact that the railing sits at eye-height when we are eating. He has been hankering after a small, high table with a couple of stools so we are now the proud owners of such and he is very happy. 
In the evening we attended a local get together where we met many new residents of Shelly Beach area as well as catching up with a number of old friends/neighbours.
As usual Sunday morning meant a trip to Byron for the Bay swim for Michael while I took a walk. I saw a bit of wildlife, before we returned home for a delicious breakfast at the new table.
Lewin's Honeyeater
I spent the afternoon doing a few things I haven't done for quite a while!







No comments:

Post a Comment