Thursday 4 February 2016

Test Week

A couple of times each term we do an evening walk which allows Peter to join us. This week was from Stadium to Gardens by the Bay, always a pleasant stroll, and it was especially lovely with a cooling breeze tonight. Last time we were in this vicinity it was almost impossible to see across the Bay due to the haze so tonight was a vast improvement.
On the walk Helen gave me a little cardinal bird ornament she had brought back from the USA. At the end of dinner I went to show it to Libby and couldnt find it in my bag, so I backtracked to where I had taken my camera out but no luck. Backtracking was to become a theme this week!
After dinner the few of us that were left wandered over the helix Bridge towards Promenade so people could experiment with new cameras, phones etc. Preparations were well under way, on the floating pontoon in the Bay, for Chinese New Year. As I removed my wallet when we stopped for a nightcap one of the inside pockets of my bag popped open...and voila there was the little bird!
Tuesday was a quiet day catching up with mum, Michael and Duncan before heading in to Wine Mansions to celebrate the January birthdays..ie Syd, Kim and Libby. They always look after us well there and tonight was no exception. Jo had penned a rap for the birthday folk, which they all thoroughly enjoyed.
This was my second 'backtrack' of the week as when we arrived at the MRT we discovered Libby's bag of goodies were still back at the Bar...fortunately it wasn't a long walk!
This week at work is Test week so it is a relatively easy week. On Friday we went for a Birdie walk to Sungei Buloh. Unfortunately about half way round Eric decided he wasn't well enough to continue so he headed home while Libby and I continued on. Lucky for us we did as we were fortunate enough to see a sunbird busily building its nest. We also saw some storks which are not supposed to be in Singapore, but obviously no-one told them.
Sunbird nest-building, slimy monitor, storks, flameback woodpecker
My third backtrack of the week happened when there was a mix up with work keys. I met Libby in Kovan to collect some keys but they weren't the correct ones so instead of continuing on to work I had to jump in a taxi to collect keys from Eric then continue on to work...they say things come in threes so that should be it for a while.
After a relatively quiet few days it was great to be sitting in the departure lounge at Changi by 7pm Sunday ready for our flight to Bali.

No comments:

Post a Comment